In previous conversations, the community has mentioned that the scope of our site appears to be restricted because of our name. In these conversations there have been a few suggested alternative names:
- Community Building
- Online Communities
The moderation team has talked with a community manager and been given the following guidance on name changes:
- Name changes are a one time thing.
- We have to explain why the current name is bad AND why the new name is perfect for the site. It's not enough to say that the current name is restricting.
- We need to show that most of our users are in favor of the name change
We also need to follow the naming standards that were announced last year. I think the two bullet points that we need to keep in mind are these, since we haven't had a proposed name with an ampersand yet (those are highly frowned upon):
- Names should be as short as possible while clearly capturing sites’ topics.
- The subdomain should match the site title as closely as possible (even if it's not the shortest possible subdomain we could use). We can still create redirects if there's a true need for them.
I'd like to see this topic used to fulfill #2 from the list above. If you prefer one of the names and have a reason why it is better than "Moderators", let's hear it.
I've made this a community wiki. My hope is that we can get an answer for each of the proposed names, along with proper arguments for each on why it is better than "Moderators"